Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad
Indian Food = Spicy Food ….
Well, not really… but yes, at times the heady mix of masalas can throw your tummy off balance.
A few weeks back, my DH was advised by the doc to stay away from hot.. spicy.. deep fried goodies, all thanks to his sensitive tummy. We have been consciously trying to avoid anything and everything with slightest hint of spice. But that DOES NOT mean you have to eat boring, tasteless meals!
I decided to spice up our lives with non spicy yet Oh – so – Delicious options! Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad being one of them! The rest shall follow soon, for now, enjoy this creamy, yet healthy delight. I’m bringing this bowl (read avocado bowls 😛 ) of creamy goodness to share with my friends at Angie’s Fiesta Friday being co-hosted by Anna@Anna International. Join us for a weekend full of fun, food & laughter!
This is what you’ll need!
1lb / 500 gms Boneless skinless Chicken Breast / Thighs / Left over Chicken
1 tsp Salt (or to taste) + 1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper + 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Cooking the chicken: In a large pot, bring water to a rolling boil and add salt, ground black pepper & garlic powder. Cook chicken in the seasoned water until fully cooked & no longer pink from inside. Once cooked, drain, cool and cut / shred chicken into bite size pieces. You may also use cooked chicken left-overs for this recipe.
Shredded Chicken/ Left over Chicken
2 Ripe Hass Avocados (not over ripe)
2 tbs Greek Yogurt/ Hung Curd/ Mayonnaise
2 tbs Spring Onions/ Green onions, chopped
2 tbs Cilantro leaves, finely chopped (or more to taste)
1 tbs Lime Juice (or to taste)
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Slice & split the avocado into 2 halves. Using a spoon/ knife, remove the seed/pit.
2. Using a spoon, scoop the inside of the avocado and transfer to a bowl. With the help of a fork, mash the avocado to desired consistency. You may use a blender/ food processor for a smoother texture.
3. To the mashed avocados, add the lime juice and give it a mix. Now add Greek yogurt and combine well. To this, add chopped onion, cilantro leaves and mix well. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and add cooked shredded chicken. Combine well and refrigerate for at least 30 mins before serving.
4. The Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad is now ready to be served! Garnish with spring onion greens and serve with crackers, use it in wrap/sandwich or eat it as it is!
1. To make it more creamy – add more avocado / Greek yogurt / mayonnaise
2. Avocado, naturally changes color with time, hence the salad left overs might change color with time.
3. Storage: Cover with a cling film, with the film touching the salad surface. Store in an airtight container.
If you love Avocados, you might also want to try out our GUACAMOLE recipe!
©Foodbound, 2014-2017. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material, including photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to “Sonal Kalra” and “Foodbound” with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.