Aloo Methi | Aloo Methi Recipe
Fenugreek leaves are widely used in Indian cuisine. They have a strong aroma and are commonly used in curries, vegetable dishes and paranthas (Indian flatbread ). Fenugreek leaves are considered healthy and are a good source of protein, fiber, vitamin C, potassium and iron. “Aloo Methi ( Potato & fenugreek stir fry )” is the most popular way to consume these flavor packed goodies.
2 Cups Fenugreek Leaves
3 medium Potatoes, cubed
1 Green Chilli, finely chopped (Optional )
Salt to Taste
Red Chilli Powder/Cayenne pepper to Taste
2 tbsp. Oil
1) Finely chop the fenugreek leaves (no stalks), apply 1 salt, mix well and keep aside for about 30 mins. After 30 minutes , wash the leaves thoroughly under running water. Once washed, drain the water & gently squeeze the water out from the leaves.
2) Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium low and sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. You will see the color of the potatoes change to golden brown.
3) Now, add the fenugreek leaves and chopped green chilli(if using). Sprinkle salt and red chili powder. Mix well.
4) Cover and cook for another 7-8 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Add a few more drops of oil, if required. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
5) Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked. Once ready, turn the heat off and let it sit for a few minutes with the lid on.
6) Aloo methi is now ready to be served. Serve hot with rotis or paranthas.
1) Applying salt at the beginning, helps remove the bitter taste of the fenugreek leaves.
2) Cooking time for potato differs from region to region, adjust cooking time accordingly.
3) Aloo methi makes a great stuffing for parathas. Make extra to enjoy Aloo Methi Paranthas!
Looking for more recipes with Methi ? Find the recipes here
Sonal Kalra 🙂