Oats Ice Cream | Ice Cream Recipe | Oats Recipes | Healthy Desserts
I am a part of an amazing foodie group on FB. We keep organizing various events, keeping a single ingredient, theme or a festival in mind.
This time around, the focus was on “Oats”. A few days into the event and I was still racking my brains on how to use “Oats”. I’ve seen bars, cookies, breads, pies, sweet and savory oats…you name it, we have it. I wanted to prepare something out of the box… so here I am with my Ice Cream … Oops! I mean “OATS ICE CREAM” ❤ Thank you, CAL & Sid for giving a new meaning to my life!
Back to oats: The general view I came across, was how people were unhappy with the gooey texture of cooked oats. I decided to play around the same and make it more appealing. If you ask me, I have instant oatmeal for breakfast, thrice a week only because I LOVE the “Brown sugar and Maple syrup” flavor. But now I have more than one reason to get my daily dose of oats! All the mommies out there … your kids will be more than happy with this!
Disclaimer: Don’t fool yourself into thinking or hoping it’s like the Real creamy Ice cream :p
1 packet Instant Oats ( Anything between 1 – 1.5 OZ / 28 – 43 gms, depending on the contents)
1/4 cup fruits of your choice ( fresh or frozen)
Sugar to Taste (I did not add)
1/2 Water OR Milk , Boiled (or as required)
Fruits to garnish
1) In a bowl, take oats and add boiling water. The water should be just enough to cover the oats. Don’t add too much. Mix well and set aside until oats cool to room temperature and the water is absorbed.
2. Add the prepared oats to the blender along with 1/4 cup fruit of your choice. Add sugar, if needed and blend to get a smooth paste (please ignore the lighting in the image below… result of my late night experiments!).
3. Shift the paste to an air tight container and freeze until the paste it set. Scoop, garnish and enjoy!
1. Once blended, fold in nuts, finely chopped fruits, dates or even chocolate chips .
2. Don’t want to freeze it completely ? No worries, freeze for an hour or two and enjoy like frozen yogurt.
3. Try flavored oats for double the flavor – Apple Cinnamon , strawberry , banana etc.
4. Add a teaspoon or 2 of Greek yogurt for a creamier texture.
5. Add flax seeds, chia seeds at the time of blending for that healthy kick.
6. Feel free to experiment with maple syrup , honey and agave nectar!
1. Do not add too much water or else it will be hard to set the Oat cream.
2. The quantity of fruit to be added will vary depending on how juicy the fruit is.
3. If freezing overnight, thaw slightly in the refrigerator or at room temperature before serving.
4. You may use regular oats as well. Cook as per package instructions and then blend as mentioned above.
5. Make sure the oats are blended well for a smooth texture.
Would request you to respect the time, energy and the thought-process invested to create this dish. Kindly share the link to the Blog, if you would like to share the recipe and enjoy guilt free :p !
I’m taking this to Angie’s Fiesta Friday ! See you there 🙂 !
©Foodbound, 2014-2018. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, including photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sonal Kalra and “Foodbound” with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.