What better than dishing out a Chicken dish in 30 – 45 minutes; that looks and tastes as Royal as any other chicken dish, which requires few hours of marination ! This is one dish , which is simple , succulent , easy to prepare and oh so full of flavor ❤ ! Presenting to you , Chicken Bhuna Masala , my way …
1 lb/ 500 gms Chicken Breast / Boneless Chicken , cubed
1 medium Onion , chopped
3 Tomatoes , chopped
2 tsp. Tomato paste
1/4 cup Whisked yogurt
1/4 cup Water
1 tbsp. Chicken Masala (store bought)
1/2 tsp Kashmiri Mirch Powder
1-2 Green Chili , Slit
1/4 Cup Cilantro leaves , chopped
1 tbsp. Dry Fenugreek Leaves
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
1) Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2) Once the oil is hot , add onions and bhuno/saute until translucent . Keep stirring every few minutes.
3) Next , add chopped tomatoes, Kashmiri mirch powder, green chilli, and salt. Cook until the tomatoes are fully cooked and you see oil droplets on the sides. Mash the tomatoes sightly with the back of the ladle.
4) Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the concentrated tomato paste (shown above) + chicken masala , mix well and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
5) Now, add the chicken and mix well. Make sure that the chicken gets evenly coated with the masala . Cook uncovered for 5 – 7 minutes . Keep stirring to make sure that the chicken cooks evenly .
6) Lower the heat and add the whisked yogurt and water mixture . Stir well . Cover and simmer for 10 mins .
7) Remove the cover and add the chopped cilantro leaves . Mix well . Cook until the chicken is fully done and no longer pink from the center. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons more water , if required. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
8) Once the chicken is cooked , switch off the heat and add dry fenugreek leaves. Mix well . Cover and let it rest for 5 mins before serving .
9) Serve hot with roti or parantha. Enjoy !
1) Make sure the chicken pieces are of equal size. This will help in even cooking. Do not over cook the chicken or it will become stiff and hard to chew.
2) I have used boneless chicken, as it was readily available. You may use chicken with bones . The cooking time will increase accordingly.
3) If you feel the curry has become sour because of tomatoes , you may add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. sugar to neutralize .
4) Please feel free to increase / decrease spices to suit your palate.
5) Chicken Masala powder is easily available in any Indian grocery store.
Happy Cooking !
Sonal Kalra 🙂