An overdose of eating out on the weekend calls for a no – fuss , simple , home-cooked meal on monday. A simple Okra & Onion stir- fry comes to the rescue. Ready in less than 30 minutes !
16 oz / 450 gms – Bhindi / Okra
1 Large Onion ,Sliced
1/8 tsp. Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp. Red Chili Powder / Cayenne (or to taste )
2 1/2 tsp. Coriander Powder
1-2 tsp. Lemon Juice
1.5 tbsp. Oil
Salt to taste
1) Wash the Okra in running water and dry them completely using paper towels. Once dry , remove the cut the head and the tail and chop the Okra into half inch pieces.
2) Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat and add the chopped okra. Stir fry until slightly tender .
3) Once slightly tender , add the sliced onions and cook till the onions are half done. keep stirring once every few minutes.
6) Enjoy this simple yet lip-smacking Bhindi Masala / Okra & Onion Stir fry with rotis or paranthas.
1) Make sure you dry the okra completely before chopping.
2) Do not cover the skillet while cooking or else the okra/ bhindi will become mushy and slimy. Okra is known to shrink in size considerably once cooked .
3) Salt is added towards the end. If added earlier , the okra tends to become mushy. The spices can increased / decreased to taste.
4) Adding the lemon juice helps us reduce the sliminess / sticky threads (as shown in the image below ) of okra.
Sonal Kalra 🙂
©Foodbound 2014-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, including photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sonal Kalra and “Foodbound” with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.