Chocolate is my husband’s weakness, specially when combined with mint or banana. This chocolate banana bread was made upon his repeated requests and the recipe is adapted from Smittenkitchen.
3 large Ripe bananas
1/2 cup Oil
3/4 cup Brown sugar
1 large Egg
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
3/4th Cup Semisweet Chocolate chips
Chocolate Chunks / Chips , to garnish (Optional) – I used Mint flavor
For an Eggless version :
Add 1/2 mashed banana to replace 1 egg
1) Dry Mix – Sift together the all – purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Make sure there are no chunks and they are mixed well.
2) Wet Mix – In a large bowl take the pureed bananas and whisk in oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Combine well.
3) Now, add the dry mix to the wet mix in 3 parts, stirring the mixture after every addition . Make sure the dry and wet mix are combined well with no air pockets of dry mix.
4) Gently stir in the chocolate chips, in the above mixture.
5) Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan .Pour the batter into the prepared pan and evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips.
6) Bake for 55- 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7) Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then shift the loaf to a cooling rack to cool completely.
8) Keep bread wrapped tightly at room temperature for up to 4 days.
9) Serve as is, or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and caramelized nuts. Enjoy !
1) You may mash the bananas, if you don’t want to/can’t purée them.
2) You may increase the chocolate chips to 1 cup for a chocolatey blast .
3) As all ovens are different and heat differently, the baking time will vary from 50 – 65 mins.
4) While inserting a toothpick, please be careful as you might end up inserting the toothpick in a moist chocolate chip – that can be misleading .
5) Please wait for the loaf to cool down fully before slicing it up.
Sonal Kalra 🙂