Being an Indian , you don’t need a calender to tell you that Navratri , Karva Chauth & Diwali are around the corner . There is something in the air ; that , just tells you the festivities are around the corner !
Food , fanfare , fun , lights , music , dance , colors , love , laughter and most importantly … “Life” is what you experience in everything around you. This will be the first time , I will be celebrating Diwali away from home .
Around Diwali and Karva Chauth we see a lot of Mathi , Namak Paara , Shakar para etc. being sold at various stores / stalls etc. so I decided to make these at home ! Adding these to my ever – increasing list of “Baked” goodies ! Presenting today ,” Baked Spicy Pastry Crackers / Baked Masaledaar Namakpare ” ! These crackers are crisp , flaky & crunchy and can be enjoyed at any time of the day . They are also a great option to snack on , in between meals !
1 Cup All purpose flour
2 Tbsp. Semolina ( Cream of Wheat)
1/4 Tsp. Baking Powder (optional)
3/4 Tsp. Salt or to Taste
1/2 Tsp. Pepper or to taste
1/2 Tsp. Ajwain / Carom Seeds (Optional)
1/4 Cup – 1/2 Tbsp.Chilled Water
Chaat Masala / Cajun Seasoning
1) In a bowl take all purpose flour, semolina, salt, pepper, ajwain, baking powder and oil. Mix well to form a crumbly mixture.
2) Now add water to the above mixture, a tablespoon at a time and knead to form a pliable dough. Cover the dough and set aside for 30 mins.
3) After the resting period, knead the dough for another minute and divide into 4 equal parts. Roll out each part of the dough, using a rolling pin. Make sure not to roll out too thin . Now with the help of a pizza cutter or cookie cutter, cut single / various shapes into the rolled out dough.
4) Pre-heat the oven to 365° F. Shift the cut out pastry / namakpaare to a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 16-18 mins or until light golden brown. Do not over bake or they will taste bitter. Once done, remove from the oven and instantly sprinkle the chaat masala / cajun seasoning on them. Spray oil or use a drop or two to make the seasoning hold.
5) Shift the baked pastry / namak paare to a cooling rack. Once cool, store in an airtight container.
6) Serve these with Chai / Coffee! Enjoy, guilt free!
1. The ratio of 3/4 cup APF + 1/4 cup whole flour + 2Tbsp. Semolina can also be used
2. The amount of water used, will differ in the above proportion. Increasing the ratio of whole wheat flour will also harden / stiffen the texture of the crackers accordingly. Semolina is added for that extra crunch!
3. You many add any dry herbs of your choice – Oregano, Basil etc…
4. We don’t need to poke these using a fork, as we want them to fluff up.
Like what I post? Love it? share it ♥ !
Sonal Kalra 🙂
©Foodbound, 2014-2018. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, including photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sonal Kalra and “Foodbound” with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.