Chaat Basket Recipe | Katori Chaat Recipe
Lately, I have been baking a lot of savory snacks like Methi Mathri , Namak Paare , Papdi and was left with some dough from one of them, so thought of experimenting . What you see below is the result of my experiment ! Cute, Bite- Sized, Versatile, Baskets – which can be filled with ingredients of your choice ♥
These baskets are crisp & crunchy and can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Can be savory or sweet as per your requirement. They are also a great option to be served at gatherings / parties with dips and/or toppings!
1 Cup All purpose flour
1/4 Cup Semolina (Cream of Wheat)
1/2 Tsp. Carom Seeds / Cumin Seeds / Any dry herbs (Optional)
3/4 Tsp. or to Taste – Salt OR Powdered Sugar (Depending on the ingredients to be filled in the basket)
1/4 Cup Chilled Water
1) In a bowl, sieve all purpose flour, semolina, salt / sugar and add carom seeds / herbs + oil. Mix well to form a crumbly mixture.
2) Now add water to the above mixture, a tablespoon at a time and knead to form a firm dough. Cover the dough and set aside for 30 mins.
3) After the resting period, knead the dough for another minute and divide into 4 equal parts. Roll out each part of the dough using a rolling pin. Now with the help of a pizza cutter, cut squares / rectangles into the rolled out dough. The size of the square / rectangle will depend on the muffin pan, you will be using to bake. I would suggest bite – sized baskets.
4) After cutting these squares / rectangles, roll them out once more, using a rolling pin and place these on a lightly greased muffin pan. Make sure that it forms a basket like bottom with the edges facing upward. You can also cut out a circle or any other shape that you like, till the time they help form a basket base. The size of the muffin pan will decide the depth of these baskets, so choose accordingly.
5) Pre-heat the oven to 365° F . Shift the muffin tray to the oven and bake for 12-14 mins or until light golden brown. Do not over bake or else they will taste bitter .
6) Shift the baked baskets to a cooling rack . Once cool , fill with your favorite ingredients or store in an airtight container for later use. In the image above – I have stuffed with the following –
b. Papdi Chaat
c. Fruit Chaat
Other options – Moong Dal Sprouts , Any Salad , Brownies & Ice- Cream , Fruit Cream ! The options are endless 🙂
1. The ratio of 3/4 cup APF + 1/4 cup whole flour + 1/4 Cup Semolina OR of 1/2 cup APF + 1/2 cup whole flour + 1/4 Cup Semolina can also be used.
2. The amount of water used , will differ in the above proportions. Increasing the ratio of whole wheat flour will also harden / stiffen the texture of the baskets accordingly. Semolina is added for that extra crunch!
3. You many add any dry herbs of your choice while kneading – Rosemary, Thyme, oregano etc…
Like what I post? Love it? share it ♥ !
Sonal Kalra 🙂
©Foodbound, 2014-2017. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material, including photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to “Sonal Kalra” and “Foodbound” with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.