This is my second post on – “Bruschetta” (Italian pronunciation: [bruˈsketta] ! The earlier post on Tomato & Basil Bruschetta can be found here . “Bruschetta” is a fresh , simple & delicious Italian appetizer that can be prepared in minutes and enjoyed at any given time of the year .
1 French Baguette
4 Medium Tomatoes
1 Cup Basil Pesto ( Store bought )
2 Tbsp. Finely chopped onion
1 Clove of Garlic (Minced)
1 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 Tbsp. Herbed Garlic Butter or EVOO (Optional)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1) Chop tomatoes and place in a medium size bowl.
2) Add the balance ingredients (except for the baguette & Basil Pesto ) to the bowl and set aside while you prepare the bread.
3) Slice the bread at an angle, dividing into equal sections of 1/2 or 3/4 inches. Cutting the bread diagonally will give you more space for the toppings.
4) Smear the bread slices with a little EVOO and Grill using the grill pan or Toast using a toaster. If using Herbed Garlic butter, smear a little after the bread has been grilled / toasted.
5) Top the bread with a layer of Basil Pesto followed by the tomato mixture. Serve immediately
1) The mixture can be refrigerated for use at a later time. If refrigerating for a longer time, add salt at the time of use, or else tomatoes will ooze out water & become mushy.
2) The Basil Pesto will also have salt added to it . Please check before you add extra salt to the tomatoes.
3) You may also rub fresh garlic on the bread after toasting , for intense flavor.
Please feel free to leave your comments & suggestions. Would love to hear from you ! Enjoy !
Sonal Kalra 🙂