This is my second post on – “Bruschetta” (Italian pronunciation: [bruˈsketta] ! The earlier post on Tomato & Basil Bruschetta can be found here . “Bruschetta” is a fresh , simple & delicious Italian appetizer that can be prepared in minutes and enjoyed at any given time of the year .
1 French Baguette
4 Medium Tomatoes
1 Cup Basil Pesto ( Store bought )
2 Tbsp. Finely chopped onion
1 Clove of Garlic (Minced)
1 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 Tbsp. Herbed Garlic Butter or EVOO (Optional)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1) Chop tomatoes and place in a medium size bowl.
2) Add the balance ingredients (except for the baguette & Basil Pesto ) to the bowl and set aside while you prepare the bread.
3) Slice the bread at an angle, dividing into equal sections of 1/2 or 3/4 inches. Cutting the bread diagonally will give you more space for the toppings.
4) Smear the bread slices with a little EVOO and Grill using the grill pan or Toast using a toaster. If using Herbed Garlic butter, smear a little after the bread has been grilled / toasted.
5) Top the bread with a layer of Basil Pesto followed by the tomato mixture. Serve immediately
1) The mixture can be refrigerated for use at a later time. If refrigerating for a longer time, add salt at the time of use, or else tomatoes will ooze out water & become mushy.
2) The Basil Pesto will also have salt added to it . Please check before you add extra salt to the tomatoes.
3) You may also rub fresh garlic on the bread after toasting , for intense flavor.
Please feel free to leave your comments & suggestions. Would love to hear from you ! Enjoy !
Sonal Kalra 🙂
©Foodbound 2014-2018. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, including photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sonal Kalra and “Foodbound” with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.